Walking Blizzard is something that’s really important and due to my schedule I need to do it either before work or after work. Either way, it’s dark by the time I have an opportunity to walk him. Like, really dark. I have a black hat, black scarf, black coat and often wear black pants. Not exactly the safest color to wear while walking.
I could get reflective clothing and will eventually but with the holidays just walking up don’t have the money to outfit.
I was at my most recent ‘hang out store’ awhile back (REI for those curious minds) and found a little product that has shed some light on the issue of night time walking (yes, yes, I just made a terrible pun).
Let me introduce you to ‘Spotlit” by Nite Ize. It’s a powerful little LED light that attaches via a small carabiner to your dogs color or leash. Easy on, easy off.
The light has two modes; steady and flashing. It is water proof, light weight and has a battery life of roughly 20 hours with replaceable batteries. I have the white LED but you can purchase it in a variety of different colors including a ‘disco’ color if you want to have a little fun on your night walks.
At around 7 dollars, it’s extremely economical.
- The light is very bright. I had considered purchasing a reflective collar for Blizzard but as my husband pointed out, any collar I’d put on him is lost in his fur. If you have a short haired breed then a reflective collar might work well, but I needed something more.
- It’s lightweight so even a small dog could comfortable handle this on their collar.
- The carabiner is easy to use so you can quickly take it on and off your dog.
- Replaceable batteries.
- If you do a ton of walking at night each day you’ll be replacing batteries fairly often.
- To operate, you just push the light. However, it is tough to push. I can see how some folks might have a hard time operating it and certainly young children would struggle.
- Works better if you have a doubled ring color. If I put it on a single ring collar it flips back with the leash and lights the back of the neck. I want it to light the front so I recommend using a double ringed collar to keep it on the chest.
This is a mighty little light. If you do night walking, hiking, camping or anything in which you want to add some visibility to your dog I highly recommend this device. Plus, it turned Blizzard into “Iron Dog” so it gets extra cool points!
As I said, you can get this at REI in store or online: http://www.rei.com/product/811706/nite-ize-spotlit-led-carabiner-light
You can also go directly to the Nite Ize site: http://www.niteize.com/product/SpotLit.asp